Monday, January 28, 2013

UPDATE: guest bedroom to NURSERY

Hello all! It seems wild that I just did an update post on Melrose's guest bedroom, and I all ready have another update to the room to share with you guys!  I knew all along that this room would eventually be a nursery so it shouldn't be that crazy to me.

I knew I would keep the same color palette of olive green, black & white, cream, white, and gold accents regardless of the sex, and then just add in touches of pink or orange if it was a girl or boy. As you all know, we are having a precious baby boy, so orange is the winner! Don't mind my crazy photoshop skills, but here is what I have mocked up so far for the nursery ...
We will leave one of the twin beds in the room and replace the other with a sitting nook and crib ...

I want to keep this side of the room simple and fuss free with all the focus on the crib and the hand knitted mobile. I know I am branching out and doing a pretty, accent chair rather than a rocker or glider, but this corner doesn't have much room and about 20 feet away in the den is a comfy recliner that rocks ... so I'm going for style points in the nursery!
This wall is opposite from the window and is sandwiched between two doors - a closest and entry. I want to hang a few of these acrylic book shelves on the back of each door since I don't have room for a bookshelf. We will use this dresser as a changing table and storage for all the baby goodies.
Here is an overall style board for the nursery. I want to hang this series of black of white vintage horse prints above the twin bed (opposite wall of the crib) and I'm still looking for a light cow hide rug to use. I'm really loving the direction of the room and I can't wait to see it all come together. 
check out all the sources on my nursery board

So, what do you think? I know it doesn't seem too "baby" but that also isn't my style. I want the room to be functional before and after the baby and not limited strictly to a nursery. I have updated the room a tad since the last pictures I posted -- I added the night stand and have made an attempt at bedside lighting ... but I'm not 100% sold on the lamps. I need your opinion! Here is a quick phone iphoto to give you an idea -
 [ignore the knick knacks on the table] 
I like how they are directional and don't occupy too much space on the table, but I can't decide on the darker brass finish or if they are too tall and slender. They are much daintier than I imagined which is good, but now I can't tell if the center post looks awkward next to the bed frames!? What's your opinion? I don't really have another idea except for maybe these gold task lamps, but I think they will definitely be shorter and chunkier. I'm leaving them for now and they are starting to grow on me.

That's what I have so far for Baby Owens' nursery! For so long I've had so many ideas running through my head, so now I'm super excited to have settled on a direction that I love. And now is the fun part, seeing it all come together! I'll be sure and keep ya'll posted ... 

13 comments:

  1. I love the lamps. My vote is "Keep them".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I'm definitely leaning that way now - I think I'd be sad to part with them now!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on a baby BOY! And I wanted to tell you- I spied a light cow hide rug last week at Encore Resales in Pelham. They had a handful of cow hide rugs hanging up. I couldn't find a price tag but you could at least call them to find out and see if they still have it!
    Can't wait to see the finished room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! You are so sweet :) That's a great idea - thanks for the heads up! Checking there asap.

      Delete
  3. Love the color selection!

    www.smalltownstripes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I love the equestrian touches- so stylish for a little boy! Can I ask where you found your brass curtain rod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I just stumbled upon the horse accents and I'm now in love! The brass curtain rod is from the Estate collection [I like that it is 1.75" diameter - the biggest I've seen] at Restoration Hardware: http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1208190&categoryId=cat1542020

      Delete
  5. Love this! Is the nightstand to the trade only? I'm looking for something like this for my master!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Yes -- it's actually from Jayson Home and Garden (I ordered it over the holidays when they had a free shipping promotion!). Here is the link: http://www.jaysonhome.com/furniture/tables/colonial-2-drawer-table.html

      Delete
  6. I feel like the lamps with the bed frames is a little to much dark metal...a little cold. I dont mean this in a mean way. Maybe you could use wall sconces with fabric shades or a pair of tall skinny lamps with a pop of color like these ones that cassandra uses on her desk: http://www.cocokelley.com/2012/06/pastel-styling-a-bookshelf-makeover/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you wanted to be in your room is not to make it nursery to look at or otherwise which I think great .Moreover, since you want to make your room spacious to look at then I would suggest you to use organizers but that would also depends on what type of materials you will put into. But for cards you can use business card holders which is durable and you will really save space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you soo much for sharing this! Help me.

    Republik Hijab,
    Inspirasi Hijab Fashion Indonesia

    ReplyDelete