Thursday, October 18, 2012

FALL GROWTH

I wanted to share some of my recent gardening projects before everything dries up and withers away for the winter -- not that Alabama is experiencing any extreme cold conditions anytime in the near future. A few months ago I posted about my adoration for potted boxwoods, indoors and outdoors. Like I mentioned, I plated a few around Melrose and here are my boxwoods on either side of the outdoor fireplace in the backyard:

And at this same time I purchased some miniature boxwoods to sit on Melrose's front stoop. I would love to find some better pots (I don't love the carved detail in the concrete), but we all ready had these and they get the job done so I have left them. I do think they need to be re-potted in bigger containers though.

I'm pretty positive you have caught onto the fiddle leaf fig tree trend. It is everywhere. You can't avoid it. And don't try to. I'll admit, I have been debating on purchasing one for our den bay window, but I resulted to being happy nursing my baby fig trees to full growth. You will be surprised at how much they have grown! Here they are fresh from the mail, pre-planted:
And here is a picture from a few months ago ...
And, now here they are this morning! You can definitely tell the growth by seeing how much fuller they are at the top. It is fun to watch a new leaf bud form at the center stem, grow to size, and eventually sprout open. Now I just don't know where to put them when they reach my pot hanger!
Another gardening project I finally finished is filling my flower bed with rosemary and dusty miller. It took me a while to locate rosemary plants large enough for my space, but now they are planted and smelling wonderful! Here is the empty, lonesome space begging for beautiful greenery -

And here is the new space filled with new cedar wood chips -

I've been a little slacking on decorating for fall, but here is my outdoor arrangement I set up. I stole the pumpkin idea from pinterest via Martha Stewart. In my carrot bag I only ended up with one gnarly, pointy carrot so I shaved the other one down to look the same. (note to self: the carrots will deteriorate) I used the same wreath and spider stands as last year
What is your favorite fall decor tradition? My favorite is definitely the purchasing of the pumpkins and hanging the wreath!

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing outdoor fireplace! So jealous! I love bringing out the fall decor and fall scented candles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I light a candle almost every day when I get home! Fall scented ones are so lovely.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see a close-up of the wreath on your front door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan! I posted close up pictures of the wreath last year if you would like to see: http://kbshirley.blogspot.com/2011/10/melroses-fall-decor.html

      Delete